Here is the K1 visa process step by step, based on my experience:
- Petition for an Alien Fiancé – Form I-129F 01/08/2016
Cost: $ 535, (as of January 2018.)
The costs have increased after the change of government. In 2015, the fee was $ 310.
- NOA1 / I-797C: That’s basically the confirmation of petition.
- NOA2 / I-797: Approval of Petition 02/26/2016
- Important! The permit is valid for 4 months. This means that within this period, the VISA application must be received or an extended deadline requested.
- USCIS sends the application to the National Visa Center. 03/24/2016
The NVC informs the American fiancé at which consulate the application will continue to process.
- I then received this checklist from the Consulate in Frankfurt: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/pk%203%20supplements/FRN%20-%20Frankfurt
- DS-260 “Immigrant Visa Electronic Application Form
- A copy of your passport
- Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
- Police certificate (if it contains an entry, it must be translated)
- Passport pictures of the petitioner (American fiancé) and beneficiary (foreign fiancé)
Guidelines can be found here:https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html
- Affidavit of Support, Form I-134
- Address to which the visa should be sent
- Schedule an appointment for the Medical Exam with one of the listed doctors: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/FRN%20-%20Frankfurt.pdf.
- Visa Fee: To pay the fee you have to create a profile at the service provider: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/en. Cost: 265 USD
- Schedule an appointment at the Consulate Frankfurt:
- If the Consulate Frankfurt is not responsible for you, you will be notified by the consulate.
- Vaccinations for the Medical Exam: 06/20/2016 Cost: 200 Euro
- Medial Exam 08/08/2016 Cost: 200 Euro
- Online K1 Visa application: 07/11/2016
- Interview 08/15/2016
- Approval of the K1 Visa 08/15/2018 (during the interview)
On August 23, 2016, I held the package with my passport and the visa in my hands 😊
Total cost: about 1000 USD (as of 2016)
It’s a long nerve-wracking process. In addition, you have flying costs, moving costs and costs for the green card application. It also takes time to get the work permit approval. Make sure you have enough money for the whole process.
I wish everyone who is currently in this situation strong nerves and good luck! It is possible! 🙂 Leave a comment if you have any questions or shoot me an email. I am not an immigration lawyer but I like to help where I can.